Tuesday 17 May 2011

Happy Birthday!

It's been longer between posts than I had anticipated but the weather was so gorgeous last week I had to be outside!   This weekend was spent in London at the "in-laws".  I ran a workshop for my cousin and I had a great time meeting her friends and family!  It was a nice way spend a cold and rainy Sunday afternoon that's for sure!!!

It's my husband's birthday today, so I had to create something!  I can't really get away with not giving him a card anymore since it is now my livelihood : )  So I put together a card and a little scrapbook page that he can frame and put in his office.


"I got the ties" was my husband's reaction!
I'm really enjoying creating with the "Best Dad Ever" ties and sentiments.  While they don't appear to be too versatile at first glance, the ties lend themselves to many different variations of colour.  I decided to go with colours from SU's Brights Collection today...and if you feel like you've seen this already, you have, sort of.  I'm trying to use up extra kits from my May Make and Take!!  This is the same template as the Bold Blossoms card that I posted on April 17th.
The base of the card is in Pacific Point cardstock that has been run through the Big Shot machine using the "Perfect Polka Dots" embossing folder.  The mattes are Real Red and Daffodil Delight (cut to 1/8" smaller than the Real Red).  I used Pacific Point, Real Red, Daffodil Delight, So Saffron and Bashful Blue Stampin' Write markers to colour the ties.




Ribbon detail
   Using the bigger hole punch on my Crop-a-Dile I punched a hole through the white, yellow and red cardstock to thread this 1" Real Red ribbon through.  This is retired SU ribbon (sorry).  I tied it using Linen Thread and then cut the edges to create the fish tail look.  Although I don't have it posted here, I used a sentiment from the "Messages to Mom" stamp set on the inside.  It's so versatile!

Fun with "Play Date" DSP
 Last year for his birthday I gave my husband a framed picture of him and our son.  I decided to step it up this year and create a little 8 1/2" x 8 1/2" scrapbook page.  I had created a template similar to this for a workshop I did for a friend.  I used Crumb Cake cardstock for the base.  The larger picture (4 x 6) is matted using Chocolate Chip cardstock cut to 4 1/2 x 6 1/2".  I used Play Date DSP to create the border along the bottom and to matte a smaller picture (cut to 3' x 3").  The little journalling square is 2 3/4" x 2 3/4" of Whisper White cardstock with some Brights brads to add some texture.  This is matted using Tempting Turquoise card stock (I couldn't wait to use this colour to compliment my son's swimsuit that he wore on our March Break vacation to Hilton Head Island, SC!!)

A cool border using the Decorative Label Punch
To create the border along the bottom of the page I punched out 2-3 pieces of Tempting Turquoise cardstock using my Decorative Label Punch.  I cut them in half and then adhered them to the Play Date DSP.

Stayed tuned for more using the Play Date DSP and more ideas that I will using for my June Make and Take on June 7th!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Simple Rainbow Cards #2

 As I was cleaning up my stamping desk and moving things around some left over DSP scraps caught my eye.  I love the combination of the colo...